Northwestern Electric Cooperative, Inc. (NWEC) was incorporated July 10, 1940, after farmers and ranchers in the northwestern part of Oklahoma were unable to secure electrical service from any other source. The Cooperative was organized to perform a service and not as a profit making organization.
The Cooperative has grown and branched out to serve in Woodward, Ellis, Harper, Beaver, Major, Woods and Dewey Counties. Today, NWEC has a workforce of 55 employees, and provides electricity to over 11,000 meters and 4,800 miles of line. We provide energy needs to industrial, commercial and residential members throughout northwest Oklahoma.
Nine directors elected from the membership determine major policies of the Cooperative and hire a manger to conduct the day-to-day business and carry out board policies.
NWEC's CEO and Board of Directors are as follows:
CEO - Tyson Littau
President - Kenny Knowles, Arnett
Vice-President - Ray Smith, Taloga
Sec.-Treas. - John Bruce, Sharon
Gil Perkins, Gate
Lee Huckaby, Selman
Wayne Hall, Quinlan
Duane Henderson, Mooreland
Clair Craighead, Woodward
Marvin Wilkinson, Buffalo
NWEC purchases all of the power it sells to its members from Western Farmers Electric Cooperative (WFEC), a generation and transmission cooperative. NWEC, along with eighteen other cooperatives in the state, owns Western Farmers. Ray Smith of Taloga serves on the WFEC board of directors.
The Cooperative also belongs to Touchstone Energy, the Oklahoma Association of Electric Cooperatives (OAEC) and the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA). Touchstone Energy is an alliance with all the coperatives in the United States. Serving on the OAEC board of directors is John Bruce, Jr. of Sharon.